After The Long-Awaited Debut, Let’s Take A Look At Play M Entertainment’s Rookie Girl Group Weeekly!
WEEEKLY is a rookie girl group that debuted on June 30th, 2020. Weeekly is a girl group under Play M Entertainment, and they are the second girl group formed by the agency after the successful debut of Apink nine years ago. They debuted with the mini-album titled We Are with the title track “Tag Me (@Me).” WEEEKLY debuted with seven beautiful members including Soojin, Jiyoon, Monday, Soeun, Jaehee, Jihan, and Zoa.
On May 7th, 2020, Play M Entertainment confirmed that they would debut their female trainees as a girl group named WEEEKLY. WEEEKLY was the first girl group to debut under Play M Entertainment, previously APink debuted when Play M Entertainment was still called Plan A Entertainment in 2011. Four days later, they revealed the name and members of the group. A month after, precisely on June 16th, 2020, the concept trailer of the mini-album was released by the agency.
This group’s debut was highly anticipated by fans, especially Play M Family. Play M Family is a term for fans who love artists from Play M Entertainment. In addition, the group’s debut also evoked old K-Pop fans’ memories of the girl groups that carry the concept of a girl crush. Weeekly debuted with the concept of cute girls.
In this article, Byeol Korea will provide you with a rundown of everything about Play M Entertainment’s newcomer or rookie girl group, WEEEKLY. So, stay tuned!
WEEEKLY Official Accounts:
Fan Café: Weeekly
Birth Name: Lee Soo-jin (이수진)
Stage Name: Soojin (수진)
Date of Birth: December 12th, 2001
Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Education: Jamsil Middle School, Youngpa Girl’s High School, Dongguk University, and D.E.F. Dance Skool Academy
Position in Group: Leader, Main Dancer, Sub-Vocalist, Rapper
Height: 165 cm (5’5″)
Blood type: A
Special Skill: Rap
Representative Day of the Week: Sunday
Hobbies: Making cakes, listening to music, writing diaries, and dancing
Fun Facts About Soojin
- Before debuting as a member of Weeekly, Soojin had already been known to the public through her participation in YG Entertainment’s survival program MIXNINE.
- She was chosen as a center in the appearance of the song “Just Dance” which is the signal song of this program.
- Soojin had an accident together with Soomin and Bowon with the van she was riding in after finishing the shoot for MIXNINE.
- Soojin suffered an injury to the abdomen and was forced to leave the program to regain her health.
- Soojin’s favorite foods are macaroni, pizza, and tteokbokki.
- Her favorite seniors are beautiful solo artist IU and Oh My Girl’s YooA.
- She has a unique habit of turning the hem of her shirt and applying lip balm.
- At the audition, the rapper used Nayoung’s song “Hope and Hope.”
- She attended Jamsil Middle School (graduated), Youngpa Girls’ High School (graduated) & Dongguk University (Department of Drama).
- In the MIXNINE program, Soojin earned the nickname Genius Soojin because of her expertise in choosing teammates.
- She also has another nickname, Pink Princess.
- Soojin’s representative color is light pink.
- Soojin doesn’t like celery and peppers.
- Once a day, Soojin eats bells, red ginseng, and yogurt jam mixed with roots.
- She became a model for ETUDE in February 2018 with the theme Spring Collection.
- Soojin’s life motto: “Let’s passionately try our best every moment.”
- Soojin, Soeun, and Zoa are currently roommates in their dorm. (Twitter Blueroom Live)
Birth Name: Shin Ji-yoon (신지윤)
Stage Name: Jiyoon (지윤)
Birthplace: Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
Date of Birth: March 2nd, 2002
Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Education: Yang Young Middle School, Sunset High School, and LJ Dance
Position in Group: Lead Vocalist, Lead Dancer, Rapper
Height: 164.8 cm (5’5″)
Blood type: B
Special Skills: Imitating sounds, speaking other languages, painting people around, and calligraphy
Representative Day of the Week: Wednesday
Hobbies: Drawing, writing, writing lyrics, learning English, and singing while playing the guitar
Fun Facts About Jiyoon
- Shin Ji-yoon was born in Gyeonggi-do, South Korea.
- Jiyoon has the color yellow as the group’s representative.
- Jiyoon can speak several languages.
- Jiyoon has a hobby of drawing, making music, and traveling to strange places.
- Besides being good at singing, Jiyoon has a hobby of writing and making songs.
- Jiyoon often goes to the library to read fairy tales.
- She shares a room with Jaehee and Monday.
- Jiyoon was a MIXNINE contestant with Soojin.
- However, she had to be eliminated in Episode 10 and she ranked 44th.
- Besides being familiarly called Jiyoon, she is also often called Baekseolgi and Chapssalteok.
- Her rising points are smile and sincerity.
- IU, Epik High’s Tablo, and Taylor Swift are her role models.
- Her favorite foods are cheese, green tea flavored food, and macaroon.
- She hates cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Jiyoon’s motto in life: “Let’s live blue! (Honestly, Coolly, Beautifully).”
- She has a skinship habit with the other members.
- She went to LJ Dance Academy.
- She and Jihan are currently roommates in their dorm. (Twitter Blueroom Live)
Birth Name: Kim Ji-min (김지민)
Stage Name: Monday (먼데이)
Date of Birth: May 10th, 2002
Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Education: KYW Dance Studio
Position in Group: Main Vocalist, Main Dancer, Rapper
Height: 172 cm (5’8’’)
Blood type: B
Special Skills: Playing dodgeball, handball, and Gomoku.
Representative Day of the Week: Monday
Hobbies: Playing all types of ball games
Fun Facts About Monday
- Fans call Monday, Monday Carey.
- The Weeekly members call her Superhuman because she is good at sports.
- Monday likes all foods except vegetables.
- Her habit is to click on a pen.
- Girls Generation’s Taeyeon is her role model.
- She shares a room with Jaehee and Jiyoon.
- Monday has a collection of 66 pairs of earrings.
- An interesting point about her is her sense of humor.
- At the audition, she sang five song titles, one of which was the song “If It Is You” by Jung Seung-hwan.
- She is a Christian.
- Monday is a devout girl who regularly pays visits to the church.
- The foods that she doesn’t like are jujube (red date) and beans in rice.
- She and Jaehee are currently roommates in their dorm. (Twitter Blueroom Live)
- Monday’s motto in life: “Nothing is impossible.”
Birth Name: Park So-eun (박소은)
Stage Name: Soeun (소은)
Date of Birth: October 26th, 2002
Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Education: Seoul Cheongdam High School
Position in Group: Main Dancer, Lead Vocalist, Rapper
Height: 171 cm (5’7’’)
Blood type: B
Representative Day of the Week: Thursday
Hobbies: Solving jigsaw puzzles, watching movies, cooking, watching mukbangs, watching Netflix, and painting
Fun Facts About Soeun
- Soeun became a member with the second tallest posture on Weeekly.
- Soeun is the only member of the group who doesn’t have a mole.
- Soeun claims that Ariana Grande and IU are the figures who inspired her.
- Soeun likes all kinds of Korean food, mozzarella cheese, and watermelon.
- She said that she doesn’t like coconut, cream cheese, and cocoon.
- “Live honestly,” is her motto.
- She chose white as her representative color on Weeekly.
- Soojin gave Seoun the nickname Ssong.
- Soeun also participated in the MIXNINE competition.
- But she was eliminated in the 7th episode and managed to rank 55th.
- Her habit is to hug a pillow.
- Her specialties are playing gonggi, cleaning, and cosmetics.
- She, Soojin, and Zoa are currently roommates in their dorm. (Twitter Blueroom Live)
Birth Name: Lee Jae-hee (이재희)
Stage Name: Jaehee (재희)
Date of Birth: March 18th, 2004
Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Education: Daehwa Elementary School dan Daesong Middle School, and Seoul High Performing Arts High School
Position in Group: Lead Rapper, Vocalist
Height: 166 cm (5’5″)
Blood type: B
Representative Day of the Week: Saturday
Hobbies: Swimming, making stuff, and listening to music
Fun Facts About Jaehee
- When she was young, Jaehee dreamed that she wanted to be a shark and crocodile handler.
- Before debuting as an idol, Jaehee first debuted as an actress.
- She has starred in popular Korean dramas and films, such as Detective K, The Fatal Encounter, My Little Baby, and Modern Farmer.
- Jaehee chose Girls Generation’s YoonA and APink as her role models.
- Jaehee has a sky blue color as her representative on Weeekly.
- Her habit when speaking is to place the word “um…”
- Her clear skin and dimples became her interesting point.
- The foods that Jaehee dislikes are mushrooms, vegetables, and tomatoes.
- Jaehee likes foods like meat, chicken, and green tea.
- Jaehee also has a nickname made by another member, Lee Jelly. This was chosen because the name has the exact pronunciation like jelly, and Jaehee also really likes jelly.
- She and Monday are currently roommates in their dorm. (Twitter Blueroom Live)
- Jaehee has the life motto: “Your business will not betray you.”
Birth Name: Han Ji-hyo (한지효)
Stage Name: Jihan (지한)
Date of Birth: July 12th, 2004
Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Education: Anyang Buheung Middle School, Hanlim Multi Art School and School of Performing Arts Seoul High School
Position in Group: Lead Vocalist, Lead Dancer
Height: 163.8 cm (5’4″)
Blood type: A
Special Skills: Memorizing choreography easily and playing the guitar
Representative Day of the Week: Tuesday
Hobbies: Writing or designing a diary and watching Netflix
Fun Facts About Jihan
- Jihan is a former SM Entertainment trainee.
- The official color that Jihan has is maroon.
- Jihan can play guitar and can remember choreography very easily.
- Jihan is called Bunny because she’s similar to a rabbit.
- Jihan’s role models are Baek Yerin, Ariana Grande, Girls Generation’s Seohyun, and APink.
- Jihan is a big fan of the girl group LOONA. This is proven by the gallery on Jihan’s cellphone, which is full of photos of LOONA members.
- She has a habit of collecting stickers.
- Jihan has dimples on her face.
- The size of her shoes is 240-245 mm.
- One of her dreams is to be a great and cool person.
- She likes Disney, cats, and desserts.
- She does not like ghosts, seafood (except squid or shrimp), and insects.
- Her motto: “Let’s live without regrets.”
- Her charming point beside her dimples is her bunny teeth.
- She and Jiyoon are currently roommates in their dorm. (Twitter Blueroom Live)
Birth Name: Jo Hye-won (조혜원)
Stage Name: Zoa (조아)
Date of Birth: May 31st, 2005
Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Education: Gyeonggido Elementary School and Seongnam Baekhyeon Middle School
Position in Group: Rapper, Maknae
Height: 170.7 cm (5’7’’)
Blood type: O
Special Skill: Mimicking a character from the drama Crash Landing on You
Representative Day of the Week: Friday
Hobbies: Singing, dancing, watching YouTube videos, watching movies and dramas
Fun Facts About Zoa
- Her nickname is Giant Baby because of her slender posture.
- Just like Soojin, she also has IU as a role model.
- Her fairy-like ears and deer eyes are an attraction for Zoa.
- She is the youngest member of Weeekly.
- The official color that Zoa has is purple.
- She does not like bugs, humid weather, and Perilla leaf.
- Hope for her future is a healthy and happy life with family and Weeekly members.
- Her motto: “Diligence is the fastest shortcut to growth!”
- Zoa, Soojin, and Soeun are currently roommates in their dormitory.
Debut Teaser & Highlights
Before making their official debut, Weeekly first released a teaser for their debut music video. At the beginning of the teaser, the fans were presented with a graceful appearance from Weeekly members like their senior, APink. But make no mistake, because at the end of the music video teaser, Weeekly broke the concept with their cute and cheerful appearance. They look adorable, playful, and have fun in the summer.
On June 30th, 2020, Weeekly officially released their debut music video “Tag Me.” “Tag Me” is an upbeat pop dance song with melodies and lyrics that sound so catchy to the ear. Through this music video, we can see the charm of Weeekly members who are so energetic and talented in singing, dancing, and rapping.
The response to Weeekly’s debut song titled “Tag Me” was quite extraordinary. Appearance with the desk property, which suits the typical school life of teenage girls attracted the attention of many fans. In addition, the cover video and MV reaction for their song made the fans both at home and abroad also continue to grow, which also showed Weeekly’s potential as a “global girl group” in the future. K-Pop music observers are now starting to focus on predicting whether Weekly, who has shown extraordinary potential at the beginning of their debut, can be a girl group that continues to increase their popularity and talent to be able to survive for a long time.
Weeekly Content On Their YouTube Channel
Weeekly not only has an official Instagram and Twitter account, but they also have their official YouTube Channel. Through their YouTube Channel, Weeekly releases a variety of content to entertain their fans. They have released music videos, dance practices, singing videos, their daily lives, and a lot more. So, here’s Weeekly’s content on their YouTube Channel!
This is Weeekly’s dance cover content. They covered ITZY’s song “Wannabe”!
This is Weeekly’s song cover content. Park So-eun made a cover of the song “Chandelier” by Sia!
And this is Weeekly’s episode content, Weee:kloud!
Weeekly is a rookie girl group that just debuted on June 30th, 2020, with seven members who are 17 years old on average. With the release of their debut album on June 30th, 2020, titled We Are, Weeekly has sold more than 10,000 copies by July 7th, 2020. This made Weeekly the first girl group to debut in 2020 and manage to sell 10,000 copies of their album. Of course, this achievement will be very meaningful for this rookie girl group.
Judging from their debut music video titled “Tag Me” that has also reached 10 million views within a week of its release, it would seem that Weeekly has been accepted by the domestic and international community quite well. Currently, Weeekly is participating in the Station event, which is the original audio content service from Melon. They will communicate using this platform until July 22nd.
That was all the information about Play M Entertainment’s rookie girl group WEEEKLY. Don’t forget to kindly share your thoughts in the comment section below!