Welcome to the Year of Taeyeon
As we all know, the queen of vocal abilities Kim Taeyeon has received multiple awards and nominations for her music work since her debut in 2007 as a member of Girls’ Generation. After her debut, she initially achieved several awards and nominations for her early solo endeavors, starting from the 2008 Golden Disc Award in the Popularity category and the Cyworld Digital Music Award for Song of the Month with her OST song “If,” then followed by the MBC Drama Awards and the Mnet 20’s Choice Award for her radio show Taeyeon’s Chin Chin Radio in 2009, and not to forget her hit track “I”, which earned her multiple awards and nominations, including a Gaon Chart Music Award for Song of the Year – October and a Golden Disc Award in the Digital category. Her success eventually earned her Best Female Artist at both the Mnet Asian Music Awards in 2015 and Golden Disc Awards the following year.
So, we are really not surprised when she finally got her first Daesang, which is one of the most important award categories in the award shows, at the 2020 Seoul Music Awards. Are you curious about the details of her award? Scroll down this article below if you want to find out more.
At the 29th Seoul Music Awards, Taeyeon performed her most recent song “Spark.” You can check out the performance below!
This year’s Seoul Music Awards held on January 30th, 2020, saw dozens of K-Pop stars sweep trophies, but one of the night’s highlights was definitely the award for Digital Record of the Year. This Daesang (main prize) was awarded to none other than Taeyeon, making her the first solo artist of her generation to ever win a Disk Daesang!
Before receiving the main award, Taeyeon had already received two other prizes at the 29th Seoul Music Awards—a Bonsang and the OST Award for “Four Seasons,” her song from the Hotel Del Luna soundtrack.
No wonder she was so shocked when she swept her third award of the night, the Digital Daesang for her song “Four Seasons.”
I really didn’t expect this… I’m so taken aback right now.
Always humble, Taeyeon confessed that she felt many other artists in attendance that night also deserved the award. She went on to thank her parents, her Girls’ Generation fellow members, and (of course) her fans.
I want to sincerely thank my fans who always wait for me. I’m able to keep singing because there are people who listen to my music.
Thus, Taeyeon became the solo artist of the year! Congratulations, Taeyeon!
List of Awards Of The Seoul Music Awards
Prior to the 29th Seoul Music Awards, Taeyeon had already won many awards throughout her solo career. Here is the complete list of Taeyeon’s awards of the Seoul Music Awards:
|Hallyu Special Award||Nominated|
|2020||OST Award||“All About You”||Won|
|Digital Daesang (Grand Prize)||“Four Seasons”||Won|
|K-Wave Popularity Award||Nominated|
|QQ Music Most Popular K-Pop Artist Award||Nominated|
While Taeyeon has won many Daesang awards as part of Girls’ Generation, the hosts pointed out that this is her first time receiving the prize as a solo artist. But that’s not all that makes it special—she’s also the first-ever female solo artist of her generation to scoop the Disk Daesang.
Only three female solo artists in history have ever won a Daesang: BoA, IU, and now Taeyeon. Since Taeyeon debuted as a solo artist in 2015, she’s considered part of the 3rd generation despite originally taking the stage as part of a 2nd generation group. As such, she’s the first 3rd generation female solo artist to win the prestigious award.
This is the second time Taeyeon has made awards show history. A decade ago, Girls’ Generation became the first girl group to win both a Disk Daesang and Digital Daesang at the 2009 and 2010 Golden Disc Awards. They also received a Daesang at the 2012 ceremony, making them the first girl group to win the main prize three years in a row.
Fans and Public Response
As usual, the public response is divided between those who support Taeyeon and those who critique her.
Some fans and netizens were quick to congratulate Taeyeon on her first Daesang. They knew she worked hard for it and deserved it.
Original Article: ‘Seoul Music Awards’ different daesang system… BTS wins album daesang -> Taeyeon wins digital daesang
Source: Newsen via Naver
1. [+1,413, -225] “All About You,” “Spark,” and “Four Seasons” all made me so happy. Congratulations on the daesang, Taeyeon-ah!
2. [+1,019, -135] Taeyeon deserves it but she seemed so surprised at winning it ㅠㅠ all of her songs are so great~! Congratulations 💜 as well as to BTS for winning album daesang, grats grats!
3. [+826, -79] Taeyeon worked so hard in 2019. Thank you for singing for us. Congratulations to the other singers as well.
4. [+799, -103] Taeyeon is deserving of the daesang, “Four Seasons,” “All About You,” and “Spark.”
5. [+505, -82] Congratulations on the daesang, Taeyeon 💗 don’t worry about what anyone else says!!! 🙂
6. [+320, -24] I think Taeyeon deserves it. She went from the main vocalist of the best girl group to now the best solo artist, amazing!
7. [+263, -16] Taeyeon’s “Four Seasons” was so great!
8. [+202, -9] Taeyeon-ah, congratulations ㅠㅠㅠ
Meanwhile, some of the netizens were questioning the validity of the awards.
Article: Taeyeon’s digital daesang from ‘Seoul Music Awards’ questioned on fairness… some claim “made up award in a rush for BTS’ non-attendance”
Source: Top Star News via Nate
1. [+508, -94] The point of the article is not asking why Taeyeon won but why the award was made up in the first place. Up until last year, there has always only been one daesang so the question is why there are suddenly two daesangs.
2. [+438, -18] Ceremonies that require fans to pay to vote need to be gotten rid of.
3. [+274, -29] I just enjoyed the fact that there weren’t any singers who did sajaegi in attendance.
4. [+137, -93] If you look at the digital records last year, Taeyeon shouldn’t have won a daesang… her digital rank is lower than a few other singers.
5. [+49, -35] The ceremony has always prided itself in giving out one daesang for 29 years and yet they made up another daesang without any prior announcement just so they can give an SM artist a digital daesang that should’ve also been won by BTS since BTS beat out Taeyeon by a landslide in both album and digital sales. BTS has won both album and digital daesang at other award shows already.
6. [+47, -36] This just drops the prestige of the ceremony… Why would anyone watch?
7. [+46, -23] The points for the daesang was 60 digital rank, and 40 judges. Taeyeon’s digital points alone made her deserving of daesang.
8. [+38, -16] The Seoul Music Awards has always been known to be an SM ceremony. Everyone knows that.
9. [+35, -24] Taeyeon deserves it. Every song she’s put out has been an all-kill. Why can’t people stand it when she’s successful??? Can’t we just congratulate her??
11. [+35, -77] I don’t think anyone thinks it’s unfair that Taeyeon won daesang.
12. [+26, -6] Taeyeon isn’t even the problem. The problem is that the super nugu group NCT, a group that hasn’t even landed in the top 10 on any digital chart, has never even won #1 on a music show, won bonsang ㅋㅋㅋ bonsang. Is this ceremony run by SM?!! Who even knows what NCT Dream is???
On March 13th, 2020, Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon returned to Instagram with her first update since her father’s passing, back on March 9th, 2020.
The idol shared a heartwarming photo of her and her parents together, accompanied by a letter dedicated to her loved ones including her family, her fans, and more.
Read Taeyeon’s message below:
“I wanted to send my deepest thanks toward so many of you who celebrated with me, and comforted me on March 9th, 2020. More people than I could fathom in numbers reached me with their warmth and kindness. I will embrace all of your love and comfort inside me and continue to live.
To those of you who came to be by my side in a heartbeat even from far away, and to those who sent your condolences from far away… I hope you will all understand that I am thankful to each and everyone, even though it is difficult for me to thank everyone personally.
I think that March 9th will remain a day that my family and I will never forget. My father was with me since the first day that I first started music when I was younger. He would be ready before me and turn the car ignition on to bring his daughter to the right place. Even now, I’m sure that he is somewhere, taking initiative first for all of us. I trust that he’s watching over us from a very good place.
Lastly, I want to thank all of those who worried for me and did your best for me by my side, and Dad! Taeyeon loves you very very much.”
Congratulation, Taeyeon! Now, hat do you guys think about Taeyeon’s win? We’re dying to hear your thoughts so please kindly share them with us in the comment box below!