Sunmi, the Hottest Solo Singer in K-Pop Scene
Sunmi is a solo singer from South Korea. She debuted in the entertainment world since 2006 until now, before being famous as one of the hottest solo singers in South Korea, Sunmi is a former South Korean girl group that is quite famous, Wonder Girls.
Sunmi debuted with Wonder Girls in 2007, then decided to leave the group in 2010 to continue her education, after three years of hiatus then Sunmi continued her music career as a soloist in 2013.
In 2015, JYP Entertainment revealed that the Wonder Girls had comeback with the band’s formation and Sunmi was confirmed to have participated in the comeback even though she had been declared leaving the group since 2010. After that, Sunmi did not continue her contract with JYP Entertainment and Wonder Girls was disbanded in 2017. Sunmi focused on her solo career and became one of the hottest soloists in South Korea.
Want to know more about her profile? Check this out!
Sunmi’s Profile and Facts
- Real Name : Lee Sun-mi
- Stage Name : Sunmi
- Date of Birth : May 2, 1992
- Age : 26 years old
- Height : 166 cm
- Weight : 43 kg
- Blood Type : AB
- Zodiac : Taurus
- Agency : MakeUs Entertainment
- Instagram : @miyayeah
Sunmi’s Interesting Facts That You Should Know
- Her nickname are Mimi and Miya.
- After Wonder Girls disbanded, it was announced that she had left JYPE and had signed with MakeUs Entertainment on March 14, 2017, but on June 24, 2015, she re-joined Wonder Girls
- She received songwriting and producing credits for several Wonder Girls releases
- She left temporarily during her music career in January of 2010 to pursue her academic career
- She can speak English and playing bass so well
- Her favourite colour is purple
- Drake is her favourite artist and Robert Downey Jr is her favourite actor
- Sunmi debuted at the age of 16 with Sohee, HyunA and Hyelim
- Every 2nd of every month is Sunmi’s Day for Wonderful
- When her first debut as a Soloist, usually idols will lose weight, but Sunmi agreed to increase her weight
- Sunmi said that she did not do plastic surgery and she believed quite well in her appearance
- Sunmi graduated from Chung Dam Middle School, Chung Dam High School, Dongguk University
- About her ideal type: she likes someone who seems innocent but still looks manly
Sunmi Career With Wonder Girls
As we know, Sunmi is a former member of the girl group Wonder Girls. Wonder Girls debuted in 2007 under JYP Entertainment and their song was directly produced by Park Jin-young. The five founding members of the Wonder Girls were selected through auditions, then their names became more popular with the song Tell Me.
Wonder Girls officially disbanded on January 26, 2017. Their last single Thank You For Being So Wonderful was released on February 10, 2017. In January 2010, JYP Entertainment confirmed that Sunmi would leave her music career and focus on her education. In fact, in February 2010, Wonder Girls will schedule a concert tour but due to Sunmi’s exit, they have to postpone the schedule.
In 2015, Sunmi returned with Wonder Girls after finishing her education and participating in Wonder Girls comeback. Sunmi, Yubin, Yeeun, and Hyerim became active members of Wonder Girls in 2015 and comeback with the title track Why So Lonely, they managed to dominate all music charts in South Korea.
After the Wonder Girls were declared disbanded, all members focused on their individual activities. Sunmi and Yubin decided not to renew their contract with JYP Entertainment and focused on their careers as soloists.
Sunmi Solo Career
Reporting from Soompi, after leaving the group, Sunmi was accepted to Dongguk University in 2011 and returned to the JYP training facilities in Cheongdamdong. Due to her short trainee period of one year, Sunmi felt that she could not display her vocal or dancing skills to the fullest during her Wonder Girl days. So he said that it was like another chance to fill up those insufficiencies.
“I practiced my vocals a lot and learned a lot from morning to night, I also received lessons in acting, Japanese, English and more,” she said.
Park Jin-young said that if Sunmi had good potential and told her to try to be a soloist, “last December, Park Jin Young suggested that I go solo and was created this March. He told me, ‘Whenever you’re ready, let me know. ‘After watching a clip of my practice session in July, he said that I was ready,” she said.
24 Hours, is Sunmi’s first debut song as a soloist. Sunmi, who had to sing with feelings of first love, commented, “while recording, I couldn’t get into it so Park Jin Young turned off the lights in the studio and told me to focus,” and “I still don’t really know what love is. Park Jin Young was told that I should not only think about the outer image but the inner workings as well but I still don’t think I’m adult. But actually, if I did know, I don’t think I would have been able to express the feelings as well.”
After becoming a soloist, Sunmi’s name became increasingly popular as one of the talented soloists in South Korea. Sunmi released two singles, Gashina and Heroine that produced by Teddy Park from The Black Label YG Entertainment.
With Gashina and Heroine songs, Sunmi successfully topped a number of charts in South Korea. Sunmi’s collaboration with Teddy Park has never been disappointing and awaited by Sunmi fans.