Kang Seungyoon, the Talented Leader and Vocalist of WINNER
There is an old saying, according to which a lucky person will find their success wherever they go. The saying may apply to Kang Seungyoon who has been successful as both a solo artist and as a member of the famous boy band WINNER. However, not only is he lucky, but Seungyoon is also blessed with his talent in composing and writing hit songs for his band. In addition, Seungyoon’s personality is found likable by the public and celebrities who have worked with him, hence the abundant offers to appear in variety shows and to star as an actor in dramas.
In this article, Byeol Korea will provide you with all the information about Kang Seung-yoon, starting from his personal profile and fun facts, to the list of his discography, filmography, awards, and nominations, his appearance on Superstar K2, WIN: Who Is Next, and television series, his appearance on King of Masked Singer, his tattoo, dog, and alleged plastic surgery, and his Instagram Feed, and latest news. So, stay tuned!
WINNER’s Seungyoon Full Profile
- Stage Name: Yoon
- Birth Name: Kang Seung Yoon
- Place and Date of Birth: Busan, South Korea, January 21st, 1994
- Age: 26 (Korean age)/25 (International age)
- Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
- Chinese Astrology: Dog
- Blood Type: B
- Height: 178 cm
- Weight: 59 kg
- Education: Busan Music and Arts High School, with a major in classical guitar
- Languages: Korean, Japanese, English
- Siblings: None
- Hobbies: Composing music, writing lyrics, going to the pool, playing the guitar, drawing, and photography
- Talent Agency: YG Entertainment
- Twitter: @official_yoon_
- Instagram: @w_n_r00 and @y8n_l8ks_at (for his photo collection)
Fun Facts About WINNER’s Seungyoon You Have to Know
- Seungyoon’s traits are described to be a rational and self-conscious person as he pays attention to the other people even when he is eating. He often confines himself because of his anxiety.
- Seungyoon learned to play the guitar when he was in the eighth grade. He also took lessons in billiards when he was in his last year of junior high.
- Seungyoon likes fried rice and picked ‘Shooting Star’ and ‘Very Berry Strawberry’ as the ice cream flavors he likes the most from Baskin-Robbins. On the other hand, Seungyoon cannot eat peaches and apples.
- Seungyoon himself claims to be a look-alike of actors Lee Jun-ki and So Ji-sub.
- Seungyoon is good friends with GOT7‘s JB.
- The first thing that Seungyoon does after he wakes up is sit up in the bed and search his name online on his phone. He actively searches for hate comments on articles written about him. He reasoned that he feels nervous because there are fewer hate comments toward him compared to the old days which made him wonder whether he had gotten too comfortable.
- Seungyoon does not play games because he may get addicted once he starts playing.
- Seungyoon will keep apologizing when he is drunk. He believes he is being a nuisance, hence his polite demeanor.
- Seungyoon wears hairpieces to add volume to his hair.
- Seungyoon said that he has complained about by Yang Hyun-suk for making old-fashioned songs. Therefore, he has not played the guitar for a long time because of WINNER’s different music genre.
- Seungyoon donated KRW 30 million ($26,710 USD) and KRW 5 million ($4,451 USD) for the Seungil Hope Foundation in order to support people with Lou Gehrig’s disease.
WINNER’s Seungyoon on Superstar K2
In the second installment of the Superstar competition, Superstar K2, WINNER’s Seungyoon appeared for the first time as a contestant. He was nearly eliminated for good in the group mission after performing Davichi’s 8282. Fortunately, Seungyoon was given a chance through Last Consolation session and passed to the next round, rival mission where he competed against No Dae-young for the category of Male Guitarists. Once again, the fortune was on Seungyoon as he passed to the top 11.
One of Seungyoon’s memorable performances was when he sang Yoon Jong-shin’s “Instinctively.” The song has been streamed for more than 2 million times, making it Seungyoon’s most-streamed solo song. Seungyoon ended up at the fourth rank, following Jang Jae-in as the 3rd ranked, while Huh Gak and John Park became the winner and runner-up of the show respectively. After his participation on Superstar K2, Seungyoon is signed with YG Entertainment in 2011.
WINNER’s Seungyoon on WIN: Who Is Next Project
Despite having a promising career as a soloist, Seungyoon joined WIN: Who Is Next, a survival reality program to choose the line-up of the next boy band created by YG Entertainment. In the show, Seungyoon is included in Team A along with Song Mino, Lee Seunghoon, Kim Jinwoo, and Nam Taehyun.
Seungyoon became the leader of Team A after Mino, who used to lead the team, was injured. The team performed many songs, such as “Smile Again,” the rearrangement of Teddy’s song “Just Another Boy,” and the final song “Go Up,” which is written and composed by Seungyoon.
In the final episode, Team A won the competition by receiving 2,745 over Team B with 0,52%. Later, Team A was renamed into WINNER and debuted in 2014.
WINNER’s Seungyoon Filmography
After shining in the spotlight as the contestant of the competition show Superstar K2, Seungyoon became a solo artist, who got many offers as a brand ambassador and released various singles. His television appearances are not limited to his music career as Seungyoon also tried his luck in the field of acting as a rookie actor. According to the general public, his acting is actually decent, though he may have to sharpen his skill bit by bit in order to be an exceptional actor. Below, you can check out the list of WINNER’s Seungyoon dramas, films, variety shows, and music video appearances!
- 2010 – Mnet Superstar K2 (as Contestant, placed on the 4th rank)
- 2011 – Music video of “Life is Tab” (Dance version)
- 2011 – Music video of “Have You Ever Fallen in Love?”
- 2012 – Music video of “Fanta Idol Commercial” (with Lee Kwang-soo and Baek Jin-hee)
- 2013 – Music video of “Wild and Young”
- 2013 – Music video of “Stealer
- 2013 – Mnet WIN: Who Is Next? (as Contestant, member of Team A)
- 2011-2012 – MBC High Kick 3 (Supporting Role as Himself)
- 2015 – Naver TV Cast We Broke Up (Leading Role as Ji Won-young)
- 2015 – KBS The Producers (Guest Role as Himself in episodes 4, 5, 10, and 12)
- 2016 – Naver TV Cast and OnStyle Love for a Thousand More (Leading Role as Yoo Jun-woo)
- 2016 – SBS MTV and Tencent The Collaboration (as Contestant in episodes 1–5)
- 2016 – SBS Flower Crew (as Regular Host from episode 13 – 29)
- 2017 – MBC King of Mask Singer (as Contestant in episode 109)
- 2017 – tvN Prison Playbook (Supporting Role as Lee Joo-hyung)
- 2018 – MBC King of Mask Singer (as Guest Panelist in episode 164)
- 2018 – tvN Secret Garden (as Guest Cast)
- 2018 – jTBC Ask Us Anything/Knowing Brothers (as Guest Cast)
WINNER’s Seungyoon Discography
Recognized for his husky voice, Seungyoon has lots of solo songs, especially before his official debut as an idol with the rest of WINNER members. Besides, Seungyoon is trusted to lend his voice for the soundtrack of television series and films, proving that his voice is suitable to accompany any kind of genre. In this section, Byeol Korea has compiled a list of songs by WINNER’s Seungyoon that you may want to listen!
- 2010 – Instinctively (Superstar K2: Up to 11 album)
- 2010 – I’ll Write You a Letter (Superstar K2: Top 6 (My Story) album)
- 2011 – Life is Tab (collaboration track with Samsung Galaxy Tab)
- 2011 – Have You Ever Fallen In Love (collaboration track with Standing Egg and Polham)
- 2011 – You Are Heaven (the original soundtrack of Midas)
- 2012 – Smile, My Love (featuring Lee Juck for the original soundtrack of High Kick 3)
- 2013 – It Rains
- 2013 – Wild and Young
- 2013 – Stealer
- 2014 – Wild Boy (featured artist with Mino for Yoon Jong-shin’s digital track Yoon Jong-shin’s Monthly – March 2014)
- 2015 – 0+1 (unreleased track of the original soundtrack of We Broke Up)
- 2015 – Two of Us (featuring Sandara Park for the original soundtrack of We Broke Up)
- 2015 – We Broke Up (featuring Sandara Park for the original soundtrack of We Broke Up)
- 2016 – Don’t Forget (the original soundtrack of Half-Moon Friends)
- 2016 – You (the original soundtrack of Love for a Thousand More)
- 2017 – Door (featuring Mino for the original soundtrack of Prison Playbook)
- 2018 – Golden Slumbers (the original soundtrack of Golden Slumber)
WINNER’s Seungyoon Personal Awards and Nominations
Prior to his debut as a WINNER member, Seungyoon was already known as a solo artist. His hard work has been appreciated through nominations in award shows, some of which he has actually snatched as the winner. Below, you can check out the complete list of WINNER’s Seungyoon’s awards and nominations!
2010 – Rookie of the Month (October) on Cyworld Digital Music Awards (Winner)
2010 – Rookie of the Year on Gaon Chart Awards (Winner)
2013 – Best Rock on MelOn Music Awards (Nomination)
2013 – Rookie Award on Seoul Music Awards (Nomination)
2015 – Best Male Actor on K-Web Fest Awards (Winner)
WINNER’s Seungyoon Acting Career
In South Korea’s showbiz industry, it is seen as an ordinary thing for an idol to venture the field of acting. However, the general public has a certain judgment, often condemning idol-turned-actors as the majority of them did their job poorly in the dramas or films they participated in. During his appearance on tvN’s Secret Garden, WINNER’s Seungyoon talked about his acting career, “Up until now, I have not had long lines in my acting career. However, I never made a mistake with my lines during filming. It made me want to try taking on long lines.” He also said that he wants to act in a medical drama because it usually includes long and difficult lines. In this particular section, we will dig up all the television series that Seungyoon has starred in.
WINNER’s Seungyoon in We Broke Up
In early April 2015, it was confirmed that Seungyoon will star his first drama as a leading role, along with labelmate Sandara Park, in the web drama We Broke Up. Based on the famous Naver webtoon by Ryu Chae-rin, We Broke Up tells about the romance between Ji Won-young, a band vocalist (played by Seungyoon) and Noh Woo-ri, a college student (Sandara Park), who have broken up but have to continue living under the same rooftop due to the deposit and the loan of their house.
Notably, CJ E&M and YGK Plus collaborated to produce the ten-episode drama while its broadcast was on Naver TV Cast. Director Kim Yong-wan, who co-directed the famous drama Love Cell also co-directed We Broke Up. You can watch Seungyoon’s teaser for the drama below.
We Broke Up became the 4th most-viewed web drama in 2015 as its views reached over 16 million. To treat the fans, Seungyoon, Sandara Park, and the rest of the cast held a personal mini-concert in August that was attended by the lucky 200 fans at Rolling Hal, Hongdae district, Seoul.
Seungyoon performed his solo songs ‘0+1″ and “Wild and Young” and a duet song with Sandara Park titled “Between Us,” which is included in the drama’s original soundtrack. Not only performing, but the mini-concert also comprised the special sessions of highlight scenes and personal talk of Seungyoon and Sandara Park. To conclude the event, Seungyoon thanked the staff, other actors of the drama, and the fans for their support.
WINNER’s Seungyoon in Love for a Thousand More
The second drama that Seungyoon took part in is Love for a Thousand More. Running for 20 minutes in each of the ten episodes, Love for a Thousand More tells the story of Yoo Jun-woo (played by Seungyoon), the capricious leader of a hip-hop crew, who is looking for his first love from 15 years ago Pyeon Mi-jo (played by Hwang Seung-eon), who is actually a 1,000-year-old woman who became immortal after meeting a certain unidentified man.
The drama is produced by CJ E&M, YG Entertainment, and YGK Plus and broadcasted through Naver TV Cast for South Korea viewers and Miaopai for Chinese viewers.
WINNER’s Seungyoon in Prison Playbook
It was reported that in late July 2017, WINNER’s Seungyoon joined the cast of the tvN crime drama Prison Playbook, along with Park Hae-soo, Jung Kyung-ho, Sung Dong-il, and f(x)’s Krystal. The drama is directed by Shin Won-ho, the creator of the Reply series. The first script reading took place on July 17th, while the one that includes Seungyoon was a week later due to the massive cast members of the drama.
Seungyoon played as Lee Joo-hyung, an outgoing character whose origin is from Gyeongsang province where Seungyoon was born. The director of Prison Playbook revealed that the reason he cast Seungyoon is that he fits the role well, “I actually did not have high expectations for him. It has been a while since I saw him in High Kick and my generation does not really know him as a WINNER member. When I asked him on the spot to read one part from the script using his regional dialect, his portrayal was a lot of fun. He really brought the character to life.”
During the broadcast of SBS Power FM’s Choi Hwa-jung’s Power Time, Seungyoon revealed that his character’s lines are especially changed to a regional dialect just for him. On the other hand, he started to exercise in order to work hard for the drama filming. When he was being asked about his acting in the drama, Seungyoon said that he was never satisfied despite the praise he received for his excellent portrayal, “I would always feel regretful because I could see things I had done wrong.” Seungyoon also named actor Jung Woong as the cast who helped him a lot on the set, “He would say something like, ‘I think it might be good for you to loosen up a little at this part’ and casually throw out a piece of advice as if it were nothing, but it was really good.”