Meet Korean Trot Singer, Hong Jin-young
Hong Jin-young is a South Korean trot singer and entertainer. She is known for her vocal ability, appearances on many tv programs and prevalence at events throughout South Korea all year around. She debuted in 2007 and was a member of the short-lived South Korean girl group, SWAN. In 2009 she returned to the music scene debuting as a trot singer. In this article, Byeol Korea will provide you with a rundown of everything about Hong Jin-young. Stay tuned!
Full Profile and Facts Hong Jin-young
- Name: Hong Jin Young (홍진영)
- Date of Birth: August 9th, 1985
- Birthplace: Gwangju, South Korea
- Zodiac Sign: Leo
- Height: 167 cm
- Weight: 45 kg
- Occupation: singer, entertainer
- Genres: Trot
- Years active: 2006 – present
- Labels: Mnet Media, Core Contents Media (MBK Entertainment), Music K Entertainment
- Associated acts: SWAN, Davichi, Seeya, Unnies
- Education: Business Administration, Chosun University
Interesting Facts About Hong Jin-young
- Hong Jin-young debuted in 2007 as a member of the girl group, SWAN.
- In 2009, she became a solo trot singer as suggested by her agency (CCM) CEO. Originally, she rejected it at first because trot is regarded as an “older” genre of music in Korea.
- Hong Jin-young’s first digital single is “Love Battery” (사랑의 배터리).
- In 2012, Hong Jin-young completed her doctoral degree at the Chosun University in Business Administration. She also holds a Bachelor of Commerce and a Master of Trade degree from the same university.
- In 2014, Hong Jin-young was a panelist on popular music variety shows, like Immortal Songs 2 and King Masked Singer and also in a virtual marriage with Namkoong Min in the popular variety show, We Got Married.
- In 2017, she was cast as a regular member of Sister’s Slam Dunk. She was assigned as a rapper by the producers.
- Hong Jin-young collaborated with comedian Kim Young-chul to release the electrot (EDM and trot) single “Ring Ring” (따르릉) on April 20th, 2017.
- Hong Jin-young made her U.S. concert debut at the Pechanga Resort & Casino in California.
- In March 2019, Hong Jin-young finally released her first studio album called Lots of Love (랏츠 오브 러브).
Official Website – Hong Jin-young
The Truth: Lovelife Story of Hong Jin-young
Hong Jin-young has been in four serious relationships including one with soccer player Kim Jin-Kyu with whom she broke up in 2007 but is now single. She has said that she is not sure of commitment yet as she has never experienced any from her partners.
After her love line with Kim Jong Kook on Running Man, rumors went flying that they are dating but nothing as such has happened yet. Hong Jin-young and Kim Jong-kook had been involved in dating rumors after their on-screen romance on SBS’ Running Man and My Ugly Duckling. When asked what’s her real relationship with Kim Jong-kook, she said, “That’s just in the past. We’ve already become just close sunbae and hoobae. He’s not my type and I like someone who I can be comfortable with.”
She was also virtually married to Namgoong Min in We Got Married but that is the closest she has come to being married. Namgoong Min when being asked if he keeps in contact with Hong Jin Young, the actor explained, “We have never contacted one another since [wrapping up We Got Married]. Jin Young is probably working hard in her activities.”
Namgoong Min also shared, “This is a topic to be cautious of, but I think many fans really want us to date. I’m cautious of talking about this, as it might put pressure on both of us. I could possibly be standing in the way of Jin Young’s future path,” he added.
“While we are cheering each other on to do well, there is no chance of actually dating as the fans are hoping. I think everyone who appears on We Got Married is destined to have these kinds of worries follow them. It’s honestly a little burdensome to have public attention on whether we still keep in contact after (the show) or really date (off-screen). A lot of people were probably surprised when I said I was going to appear in We Got Married. I, myself, didn’t know I would do We Got Married either. It was a good experience and we worked hard, so I’m thankful that people liked us (as a couple).”
Trot Singer With Perfect Academic Background
Hong Jin-young completed her doctoral degree at the Chosun University majoring in Business Administration. Hong Jin-young’s dad is a professor. In a show, she said, “I wanted to be a singer since I was little, so I prepared for the entertainment department when I went to college. But because of my dad’s opposition, I couldn’t go to the high school and the college that I wanted to go to. My family was really against it.” She continued, “But now when I go to concerts in other cities, I see my dad once in a while sitting in the very front seats, cheering for me.”
Hong Jin-young also holds a Bachelor’s degree from the same university majoring in Commerce and a Master’s degree in Trade.