As we all know, BIG BANG is a huge name in K-pop history. Not only that as a group, the group is a solid award winner and one of the biggest K-pop groups of the decade, the members also succeded individually. One of them is Kang Dae-song, often called Daesung, who us excelling as an actor and solo singer. After the success with BIG BANG which debuted in 2006, he started his career as a solo singer by releasing several singles. One of the singles is “Cotton Candy” and “Baby Don’t Cry”. His success not only reached the people in his own country but also captured the love of fans from all over the world.
But, though he has quite a successful solo career, Daesung’s name was also not separate from a string of scandals that dragged his name. Are you curious to know the full story of his career and scandal? Check out the article below to find out!
Daesung’s Full Profile
Stage Name: Daesung (대성)
Birth Name: Kang Dae-song (강대성)
Position: Lead Vocalist, Maknae
Birthday: April 26, 1989
Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Birth Place: Incheon, South Korea
Height: 178 cm (5’10”)
Weight: 63 kg (139 lbs)
Blood Type: O
Daesung’s Interesting Facts
- Incheon, South Korea, is his hometown
- He has an older sister named Bora
- One of his nicknames is ‘Smiling Angel’ because of his eye-smiles
- He is the lead vocalist of BIG BANG
- He was the third member to be picked for the BIG BANG lineup
- He is a close friend of singer Gummy
- On June 16, 2008, he made his solo Korean debut with the trot song titled “Look At Me GwiSoon”
- On February 27, 2013, he then made his solo Japanese debut with the album D’scover
- Most of his solo discography is Japanese
- All of his Japanese solo music is released under YG’s sub-label YGEX
- Doraemon is his favorite character
- He can play the drums
- He doesn’t know how to swim
- Sushi is one of his favorite foods
- In 2009 he was in a car accident which resulted in him breaking his nose and injuring his back
- After Seungri, he is the youngest member in BIG BANG
- If he was a girl and had to pick a member to date, he would pick T.O.P
- He was a main cast member on the variety show Family Outing
- He made an appearance in the drama What’s Up
- He took part in the animated film A Turtle’s Tale: Sammy’s Adventures as Sammy
- He studied post-modern music at Kyung Hee University back in 2008
- He is a devout Christian
- He was the second foreign artist to have two number one consecutive album in Japan
- He played a schoolgirl and an evil stepmother in BIG BANG‘s parody of the drama Boys Over Flowers
- He was the first K-pop artist to hold a Japanese solo concert with over 100,000 fans.
- When doing Japanese promotions, he uses the stage name D-Lite
- He takes very good care of his skin.
- He is the only BIG BANG member whose stage name is the same as their real name
- He suffered from vocal nodules and stage fright after his debut
- He played soccer and practiced taekwondo in middle school
- He had his first kiss with his 9th-grade girlfriend in the cafe.
- He frequently exercises and has his own personal trainer
- Upon hearing a Stevie Wonder song, he realized he wanted to become a singer
- He previously wanted to become an MC, a baseball player, and a priest before choosing music
- “With Me” by Wheesung is his favorite karaoke song
- On March 13th, 2018, he enlisted in the military and was discharged on November 10, 2019 (the same day as fellow bandmate Taeyang)
- His ideal type is a woman who is a good talker, but they don’t wear mini-skirts, since it would worry him and can understand his career as an idol (“I’d like to be able to lean on her for support, and whether she’s older or younger than me, I’d like for her to be able to console me and give me strength when we’re together”, he said)
Daesung’s History and Debut with BIGBANG
Like idols who are just starting out, BIG BANG’s debut single does not sell well in the South Korean music market. However, they won’t give up. In the early days of their debut, they continuously released new singles every month. They do this so that BIG BANG‘s name is increasingly recognized by the public.
Unfortunately, in the midst of their bright start, Daesung and BIG BANG’s career was hit by trials. In 2011, Daesung got into controversy as he is reported to have hit a motorcyclist and resulted in a motorcyclist’s death. Although he was eventually found not guilty, Daesung chose to take a year-long break from entertainment for self-reflection. With the absence of Daesung, BIG BANG automatically did not have full-team activities during that period.
Daesung’s controversy, as well as a series of scandals in 2011, made BIG BANG have to stop activities, as well as losing fans. Even so, at the end of that year, the group returned to appearing in front of the public in full formation. At that time, this YG Entertainment care group received the ‘Best Worldwide Act‘ award at the 2011 MTV European Music Awards (EMA) in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
Afterward, BIG BANG returned to the K-Pop world by releasing the mini-album Alive in 2012. They again gained popularity through this mini-album, as evidenced by the main single “Fantastic Baby” which ruled both local and international charts.
Until now, BIG BANG has often released various songs that have captured the attention of music lovers, starting from “Bae Bae”, “Loser”, to the “Flower Road”. Despite being classified as the K-Pop group with the longest comeback, BIG BANG has often achieved domestic and international success through their songs. In addition, the concerts they hold are never empty of audiences. In fact, according to data on South Korea’s official tourism site, Visit Korea, the BIG BANG concert was lined up as one of the reasons travelers want to come to South Korea.
Unfortunately, not only achievements, BIG BANG’s fate was swayed after TOP was caught consuming marijuana in October 2016. In fact, at that time, BIG BANG had recently made a comeback with an album titled MADE in 2015. The album, MADE, and the title track, “FXXK IT” became the group’s latest release with the full formation.
As a result, TOP was unable to participate in BIG BANG‘s last concert in 2017. And finally, BIG BANG declared a hiatus for more than two years. Apart from the TOP case, the hiatus was carried out because the other BIG BANG’s members had to undergo military service, including Daesung in 2018.
After the TOP case, it was Seungri’s turn to be involved in the ‘burning sun’ case and a number of other scandals. BIG BANG finally had to lose Seungri, who decided to leave and retiring in 2019, leaving Daesung, G-Dragon, Taeyang, and TOP, BIG BANG had to bury their comeback plans on the Coachella 2020 stage.
Although the future of BIG BANG is still uncertain, Daesung and BIG BANG have had good years as it has been named one of ‘The Greatest KPOP Artist of Decade’ or the best K-Pop artist for a decade.