Meet The Famous Singer Turned Successful Businessman, Tony Ahn
Tony Ahn was a former member of first-generation Korean Boy Band H.O.T. After H.O.T disbanded, he formed a dance music group called JTL with Jang Woo-Hyuk and Lee Jae Won. He pursued a solo career after JTL disbanded.
He regained his popularity from the younger Korean generation with the SBS hit variety show My Ugly Duckling. In earlier episodes of the show, he was portrayed as a heavy drinker, a lazy and a messy person. His room was dirty, disorganized and filled with empty alcohol bottles.
Tony Ahn owns several companies including garment and music Entertainment Company. Nowadays, he is famous as part of the cast of a popular TV program and a K-Pop talent promoter. Byeol Korea will provide you with a rundown of everything about Tony Ahn, former leader of H.O.T, so stay tuned!
Tony Ahn’s Profile
- Tony Ahn is a South Korean Singer and prominent leader of the first-generation Korean boy band, H.O.T.
- Birth Name: Ahn Seung-Ho
- Date of Birth: June 7th, 1978
- Zodiac: Gemini
- Height: 175 cm
- Weight: 57 kg
- Blood Type: O
- Hobbies: Basketball, Driving
- Place of Origin: Seoul, South Korea
- Genres: K-Pop, R&B, Dance
- Occupation: Singer, songwriter, music producer, composer, CEO
- Label: TN Nation Entertainment
- Official website: www.tonyan.co.kr
- Instagram: tntonyan
Facts About Tony Ahn
- Tony Ahn debuted in SM Entertainment management and later pursued a solo career establishing his own label TN Nation Entertainment.
- He enrolled in Dongguk University and majored in stage performance.
- He got his bachelor degree in 2003.
- He and JTL were ridiculed for not having talent or skill in singing and performing.
- He found out that his deteriorating health was due to years of constant smoking and drinking through a health examination during filming My Ugly Duckling.
- He was diagnosed with a 7-millimeter cyst in his kidney and his liver somatic index was abnormal due to chronic drinking.
- He is also the CEO of a music Entertainment Company, school uniform company, and an undergarment company.
Tony in H.O.T
H.O.T, an acronym for Highfive Of Teenagers, was a South Korean boy band that was formed by SM Entertainment in 1996. Tony Ahn joined H.O.T after auditioning in Los Angeles. H.O.T consisted of five members: Moon Hee Joon, Jang Woo Hyuk, Tony Ahn, Kangta, and Lee Jae Won. The group was a success in Korea, Japan, and China and is considered to be the start of the Korean K-Pop wave.
In May 2001, Tony Ahn, Lee Jae Won, and Jang Woo Hyuk left SM Entertainment due to a disagreement over the new contract. It was reported that the group members received only $10.000 for every million albums they sold. Kangta and Moon Hee Joon remained in SM Entertainment as solo artists.
Tony in jtL
After H.O.T was disbanded, Tony Ahn, Lee Jae Won, and Jang Woo Hyuk formed a dance music trio called jtL and signed under Yejeon Media. jtL debuted in 2001 with their first album Enter The Dragon. Their first single titled “A Better Day” was a cover of the same-titled song by the Norwegian band Multicyde. jtL received criticism because all three members lack vocal and performance skills and the group success was mediocre. Tony Ahn claimed that promoting jtL was difficult and that jtL songs were blocked from various entertainment broadcasts by previous employer SM Entertainment.
jtL was famous outside of Korea, especially in China where they performed during the closing of Shanghai F1 Grand Prix. The group won the Favorite Artist of Korea award at the 2003 MTV Asia Awards.