Kim Go-eun’s Top Dramas
For those who like K-dramas, you must be familiar with the actress named Kim Go-eun. She has received many achievements while playing the main characters in several dramas, such as Cheese In The Trap and Goblin.
Let’s look deeper into the following roles and characters played by Kim Go-eun below!
Cheese in the Trap
Cheese in the Trap (hangul: 치즈인더트랩) is a South Korean series that was aired starting from January 4, 2016 until March 1, 2016. The drama was adapted from a webtoon series and aired on tvN every Monday and Tuesday.
This drama has four lead roles: Kim Go-eun (played as Hong Seol), Park Hae-jin (played as Yoo Jung), Seo Kang-joon (played as Baek In-ho), and Lee Sung-kyung (played as Baek In-ha).
The supporting cast included:
- Hong Joon (Kim Hee-chan), Seol’s younger brother who returns to Korea from the United States.
- Hong Jin-tak (Ahn Gil-kang), Seol’s father.
- Kim Young-hee (Yoon Bok-in), Seol’s mother.
- Jang Bo-ra (Park Min-ji), Seol’s supportive best friend.
- Kwon Eun-taek (Nam Joo-hyuk), Seol and Bo-ra’s loyal friend, who is in love with Bo-ra.
- Oh Young-gon (Ji Yoon-ho), a delinquent who is obsessed with Seol.
- Son Min-soo (Yoon Ji-won), a shy classmate who gains confidence by copying Seol’s identity.
- Kim Sang-cheol (Moon Ji-yoon), a lazy senior in Seol’s class.
- Lee Da-young (Kim Hye-ji), a girl in Seol’s class who dates Young-gon.
- Nam Joo-yeon (Cha Joo-young), a girl who is obsessed with Jung at the beginning of the series.
- Kang Ah-young (Yoon Ye-joo), Seol’s junior and Joon’s love interest.
- Ha Jae-woo (Oh Hee-joon)
- Kim Kyung-hwan (Go Hyun)
- Min Do-hyun (Shin Joo-hwan), interested in Seol.
- Heo Yoon-sub (Lee Woo-dong), Seol’s boss at her university admin job.
- Professor Kang (Hwang Seok-jeong)
- Professor Han (Kim Jin-keun)
- Yoo Young-soo (Son Byong-ho), Jung’s father.
- Kong Joo-yong (Kim Ki-bang), Seol’s neighbor and Yoon-sub’s boyfriend
The webtoon version of Cheese in the Trap was created by Soonkki and written as a drama by Kim Nam-hee and Go Sun-hee, then directed by Lee Yoon-jung. This drama has 16 episodes in total and was a success in both South Korea and China, which sold for $125,000 per episode.
The plot of this drama tells us a story of life and relationships between students in college and the relationship between Hong Seol (played by Kim Goeun) and Yoo Jung (played by Park Hae-jin) who is a senior campus.
Yoo Jung is an heir of wealth from the Taerang Group and his life is perfect. But behind it all, Yoo Jung seems to have a different personality than normal people, because he often chases after Hong Seol with no definite purpose and even he comes to take her on a date.
Beside the complicated relationship between Hong Seol and Yoo Jung, there are also siblings, Baek In-ho and Baek In-ha, who were once Yoo Jung’s childhood friends. In the past, Baek In-ho and his sister, Baek In-ha were children adopted into the rich Jung family but he came from a difficult life background.
Baek In-ho is going to the same college as Hong Seol and they were best friends. Baek In-ha is the typical woman who is materialistic and really loves to bring melodrama in her life. She also has a crush on Yoo Jun,g but he never accepts her feelings for him.
Goblin, or Guardian: The Lonely and Great God (Hangul: 쓸쓸하고 찬란하신 – 도깨비), is a South Korean drama that ran from December 2, 2016 – January 21, 2017. The drama has many directors, such as Lee Eung-bok (Ep. 1-16), Kwon Hyuk-chan (Ep. 5-16), Yoon Jong-ho (Ep. 3-16) and creative directors in each episodes such as Yoon Jong-ho (Ep. 1-2), Jung Ji-hyun (Ep. 1-16) and Kim Sung-jin (Ep. 1-16). Meanwhile, the drama has been written by Kim Eun-sook with total of 16 episodes and 3 special episodes.
This drama was one of the best-selling in history because the storyline is packed in modern stories. Goblin also reached the highest rating, up to 18.68% from the audiences around the country and is one of the dramas with the highest history of ratings before Sky Castle and Reply 1988.
There are five lead roles in this drama, including Kim Go-eun (played as Ji Eun-tak), Gong Yoo (played as Kim Shin or Goblin), Lee Dong-wook (played as Wang Yeo or Grim Reaper), Yoo In-na (played as Sunny or Kim Sun), BTOB’s Sung-jae (played as Yoo Deok-hwa).
Meanwhile, the supporting cast are:
- Lee El as Samshin, Goddess of Birth and Fate
- Kim Sung-kyum as Chairman Yoo Shin-woo, Deok-hwa’s grandfather
- Yeom Hye-ran as Ji Yeon-suk, Eun-tak’s aunt
- Jung Young-gi as Park Kyung-shik, Eun-tak’s male cousin
- Choi Ri as Park Kyung-mi, Eun-tak’s female cousin
- Jo Woo-jin as Kim Do-young, Deok-hwa’s secretary
- Hwang Seok-jeong as triplet sisters; two of them as a shaman fortune teller and a ghost
- Park Kyung-hye as ghost trying to take Eun-tak with her
- Park Se-wan as ghost wearing glasses (Ep. 5)
- Kim So-ra as Lee Jung-hwa
- Ko Bo-gyeol as Kim Yoo-na, Eun-tak’s class president
- Lee Moon-soo as an old man from the Goryeo era who kept Kim Shin’s body
- Yoon Kyung-ho as Kim Woo-sik, Kim Shin’s loyal lieutenant from the Goryeo era
- Kim Byung-chul as Park Joong-heon, a cunning and manipulative eunuch from the Goryeo Dynasty
- Nam Da-reum as Kim Soo-bok, boy who met Kim Shin in Canada
- Kim Nan-hee as Eun-tak’s teacher
- Kim Min-young as Soo-jin, Eun-tak’s schoolmate
- Ma Min-hee as one of Soo-jin’s school friends
- Yoon Hee-kyung as one of Soo-jin’s school friends
- Choi Woong as Wang Yeo’s junior grim reaper
- Kim Ki-doo as one of the junior grim reapers
- Jo Hyun-sik as Loan shark
- Yoon Joo-man as Loan shark
- Yun Da-yeong as a female grim Reaper
- Ahn Ji-hyun as Go Jung-hyun; Eun-tak’s ghost friend
- Lee Seul-bi as vain woman at cafe
- Park Hee-von as Ji Yeon-hee, Ji Eun-tak’s mother (Ep. 1, 7)
- Kim Min-jae as Wang Yeo
- Kim So-hyun as Kim Sun
- Jung Hae-in as Choi Tae-hee, Ji Eun-tak’s first love
The plot of the drama tells of a girl named Ji Eun-tak (played by Kim Go-eun). Before Ji Eun-tak’s mother gave birth to her, her mother had an accident and she almost died. At that time, Ji Eun-tak’s mother shouted for help and in the end, the person who helped her was Goblin, an immortal figure who was 939 years old and died during the Goryeo era.
In myth, the Goblin has a supernatural ability to revive someone’s life and he has a mission in the world to find the bride who can pull out a sword that pierces through his chest. After the incident with Ji Eun-tak’s mother, her daughter was born and named Ji Eun-tak. The girl grew up without her mother and was required to live with her aunt, uncle, and cousin who were very mean to her.
Since childhood, Ji Eun-tak could see ghosts and she was chased by Grim Reaper (played by Lee Dong-wook), but she was lucky to be saved by the Goddess of Birth and Fate (played by Lee El). Destiny finally brought Ji Eun-tak to the Goblin. She knew the Goblin named Kim Shin and, in the end, the Goblin figures out that Ji Eun-tak is the bride who he once saved before Ji Eun-tak was born into the world.
Upcoming Drama: The King: Monarch of Eternity
Kim Go-eun is reported to be the next lead role of the upcoming drama with literal title The King: Monarch of Eternity (hangul: 더 킹: 영원의 군주). The drama will be directed by Baek Sang-hoon and written by Kim Eun-sook.
The drama will be released in the first half in 2020 with five lead roles, such as Kim Go-eun (played as Jung Tae-eul/Luna), Lee Min-ho (played as Lee Gon), Woo Do-hwan (played as Jo Eun-seob/Jo Young), Kim Kyung-nam (played as Kang Shin-jae), Jung Eun-chae (played as Koo Seo-ryeong).
The plot in this drama will tell us a story of a Korean emperor named Lee Gon who will try to close the door that has been opened by the devil, since he wanted to live a better life in the human’s world. On the other side, there is Korean Detective named Jung Tae-eul that tried to protect every person that she loved.
That was all the information about actress Kim Go-eun’s top dramas and movies. She is definitely beyond a talented actress, wtih all the important roles she was in. Let’s keep supporting Kim Go-eun so we can see her appearance in upcoming dramas or movies in the future!