Are You Curious About Leessang’s Current State?
Renowned as a hip-hop duo with a touch of jazz and R&B, the members of Leessang parted ways, informally, in 2017. Even so, their legacy of eight studio albums in the underground music industry remained legendary, while they’re known for being one of the few artists to assist non-idol singers and musicians get some exposure by the mainstream public, earning them deep respect as a senior group. Not only in the music industry, its members Gary and Gil also ventured into broadcast programs and worked as entertainers in the variety shows MBC’s Infinity Challenge and SBS’s Running Man, respectively.
In this article, Channel-Korea will tell you all about Leessang, from their discography, awards and nominations, disbandment news, and solo careers to the member’s latest news, so keep reading!
Having started their musical career in the underground scene, Leessang is considered a productive group who consistently released a full album almost annually since their debut in 2002. Not only albums of their own, Leessang also collaborated with other artists in singles and movie soundtracks. Here’s Leessang’s complete discography!
- 2002 – Leessang of Honey Family (full album)
- 2003 – Jae Gyebal (full album)
- 2004 – Leessang, Special Jungin (compilation album)
- 2005 – Library of Soul (full album)
- 2006 – Who is Life For? (original soundtrack of Bloody Tie)
- 2007 – Black Sun (full album)
- 2008 – Dachimawa Lee (original soundtrack of Dachimawa Lee)
- 2009 – Baekahjeolhyun (full album)
- 2009 – Hexagonal (full album)
- 2011 – Asura Balbalta (full album)
- 2012 – Unplugged (full album)
- 2012 – Seventy Seven 101 (featuring artist for Psy’s song)
- 2013 – Tears (singles featuring The SeeYa’s Eugene)
- 2015 – Kaleidoscope (singles featuring MI-WOO)
Leessang’s Awards and Nominations
Throughout a 15-year career in the music industry, Leessang made their name as a duo group who focused on hip-hop and jazz rap genres, it was an unusual combination that certainly made them stand out from similar groups. It should be no surprise that Leessang has been nominated and/or won awards several times during their prime years.
You can see in the list below.
- 2002 – Best Hip-hop Performance on M.net KM Music Video Festival (Winner)
- 2003 – Best Hip-hop Performance on M.net KM Music Video Festival (Nomination)
- 2005 – Best Hip-hop Performance on M.net KM Music Video Festival (Nomination)
- 2007 – Best Hip-hop Performance on M.net KM Music Video Festival (Nomination)
- 2007 – Best Music Video on M.net KM Music Video Festival (Nomination)
- 2007 – Song of the Month on Cyworld Digital Music Awards (Winner)
- 2009 – Best Hip-hop on Mnet Asian Music Awards (Winner)
- 2009 – Best Music Video on Mnet Asian Music Awards (Nomination)
- 2009 – Bonsang on Cyworld Digital Music Awards (Winner)
- 2009 – Sudden Rise of the Year on MelOn Music Awards (Winner)
- 2010 – Bonsang on Cyworld Digital Music Awards (Winner)
- 2010 – Best Collaboration on Cyworld Digital Music Awards (Winner)
- 2011 – Top 10 Artist on MelOn Music Awards (Winner)
- 2011 – Best Rap Performance on Mnet Asian Music Awards (Winner)
Leessang’s Official Disbandment
A news outlet reported that the hip-hop duo may have unofficially disbanded, as its members Gil and Gary had established their own labels, Magic Mansion and Yangban Nation, respectively. The journalist claimed that as the rappers drifted apart, all the Leessang Company’s employees have left the company, as well. Regarding the report, a staffer who previously worked at Leessang Company clarified that the company has not closed down, despite the absence of its employees and that Leessang may continue to work together in the future, though it was still unknown, at that point, whether the group had officially disbanded or not.